Designed by Veethemes.com

Split, You Stole My Heart

Driving into Split, Croatia, was not the easiest feat. I know first hand, because I had to do it! Bustling roads, people running across the street, street signs that were impossible to read- I thought there is no way I'm gonna like it here. I stepped out of our rental car (which we were returning), and into the 90 degree sun. My skin was on fire, my bag was 1,000 pounds. I was annoyed. But of course, it was Croatia, which meant a magical man was most likely about to appear to sweep us off our feet and save us. I know I can be a spoiled brat at times, but I'm just trying to be honest. And there he was, our 6'5" friend, that whisked my bag out from under me, and Ryan's too, and happily led us on our little jont to find our hotel. All of the sudden everything was right in the world. We checked into our stunning little abode, "The Piazza Heritage Hotel" beautifully situated in an old building in the main square of the old town. Although we were beat, we couldn't wait to begin exploring. The old town is basically built right into Diocletian's Palace. I can tell you everything about Diocletian's Palace because Ryan made me do a walking tour (which I ended up loving, but don't tell him) right at dusk, which is the only time to do it when it's blistering hot out. The Palace happens to also be where they film a ton of scenes from Game of Thrones, so if you're a fan of the show, you will recognize quite a bit from the city. The restaurants we dined at were perfect. We ate at traditional Croatian restaurants both nights, indulging in fresh fish, octopus, and our favorite- feta and olive oil. Pairing wine was not as simple as it is back home in California. Croatian wines were not my favorite (however, we finally found some amazing ones in Dubrovnik), the acid in them was too much for my liking. My favorite restaurant was Konoba Korta where we were served by the sweetest lady, Karla. Every dish was beautiful and I'm still dreaming of Ryan's fresh turbot and my melt in your mouth John Dory. On the other side of this old town you have what they call The Riva. Restaurants and bars lined up all along the harbor. Yachts and sail boats coming and going, a bustling nightlife with music on every corner. This town was purely magic- the history, the beauty, the food, the people... I can't wait to return again someday, and get over myself the minute I step foot into that warm and beautiful sun.

0 comments:

Post a Comment